Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 05:36:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have 2 questions, mostly for hospital based LC's, including Level II NICU's.  

#1.  We are starting (today) the Safe Sleep program inspired by One Candle.  Halo sleep sacks in place and ready to go.  Baby must be alone, on back, and in the crib to sleep.  For those of us who agree with Dr McKenna, that mom's are the best environment for babies, and with the lack of side car cribs that fit labor/delivery beds here in the US, how do you make this work?  I saw Coach Smith's lecture in Wisconsin this spring, and agree whole-heartedly.  And we are trying to get Baby Friendly status (in early stages). Can these marry and be happy?  I have always instructed my moms that they shouldn't sleep with baby if they are on strong pain meds, have been drinking or have taken recreational drugs, are overly tired, and to NEVER sleep in a chair or sofa with baby. (At least this we can all agree on).   Heaven forbid that mom rolls onto baby causing SIDS!!! 

#2.  When you find a tight frenulum, specially the posterior/sub-mucosal type, how do you explain to the parents what is happening in the baby's mouth without saying the words "tongue tied"?  I have been trying to educate my co-workers (inlcuding 5 other LC's) about these types, and am getting my hiney reamed!  I have changed to "restrictive tongue motion" or "ineffective tongue movement", and still get dirty looks and comments.  We do not have anyone really in our area who is conversant and comfortable with treating these types, and when I am able to get a MD to look, they tell the parents there is "nothing there".  (Actually had a ped tell the RN that there was NO frenulum present - doesn't that create another set of problems?)  Any advice for these situations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Brenda Enfield RN, IBCLC
Cedar Rapids, Ia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2