Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2013 22:55:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi all! So I have two moms who have thrown me a curveball today.
The first has an 8 month old, still breastfeeds and eats table foods. Mom went back to work in December and baby takes very little breast milk via bottle during the day but nurses all afternoon when mom gets home and 4-5 times at night. Baby is sleeping in the bed with mom and has easy access to mom to nurse during the night. Mom wants baby in her own bed (the crib) and to take more milk during the day from the caregiver. I suggested putting baby in the crib during the day for naps to get her used to sleeping there and nursing or giving a bottle before table foods during the day. I am definitely not a sleep expert, but wanted to see if anyone else had experience or advice for this mom. 

The second mother I have spoken with is contemplating providing breast milk for her friend who has had breast reduction surgery several years ago and had both nipples removed and repositioned. She was advised that she may not be able to breastfeed. The mother (my patient) wants to provide a few moths worth of milk for them (she has a great supply). She is traveling soon and wants to maintain her supply to pump the extra milk for them and wants my advice on keeping her supply up. I am not sure how to counsel her. I think the other mother should notify the milk bank here (we have a great one in our city)  and obtain breast milk that way.  I am torn on how to counsel her! I feel endorsing milk sharing violates my code of practice as an IBCLC. I will be doing my own research on this as well before counseling, I just wanted to see if anyone has had this situation before. 

Any advice on these two cases is greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy Mothers Day to you guys!

Mandy 
IBCLC
Denver , Colorado 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2