Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2014 16:13:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Has anyone else heard how marijuana has changed over the years?  I hear about joints being laced with other drugs and moms not even being aware of it.

One of my concerns is, if we are assisting moms that have tested positive and are then being monitored by Child Protective Services, what happens if the baby's urine is tested and it comes back positive? Which is whole new issue! Is the mom going to say that "the Hospital and the Lactation Nurse said it was ok to breastfeed and they knew I was smoking marijuana". Would I then regret my actions and would my Nursing License and my Lactation Certification be questioned/threatened? There are a few studies that are questioning neurological outcomes of breastfeed babies & THC as well as a connection between marijuana and schizophrenia (http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/schizophrenia/cannabis-psychosis-link). I understand the risk vs. benefit consideration of not nursing, but it does make me think.

I would hope that once the baby is here the mom would think twice about using drugs/alcohol, but this is not what I see. If they think it is ok to do while they are pregnant, when they know that baby is being exposed, then what would stop them when they are breastfeeding?.... even if they verbalize that "it was one time and I'm not going to do that anymore".

Recently, I had a mom in breastfeeding class say that marijuana must be safe because they are making it legal in so many states. I encouraged her to think about alcohol being legal and if that is safe during pregnancy. 

It really does depends on one's view BUT it is so good that this is being discussed! More research is definately needed.

Respectfully, Michelle D.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2