Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:44:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
 Ann Anderson wrote:
The interesting thing about toxicity is that it takes a long time to collecta pproaprate data. DDT is an interesting  story. What was found about DDT wasthe egg shells of  birds like eagles were damaged. There was no demonstratedtoxicity to humans when DDT was banned at the levels used for the control ofmisquitos. What we do know now, is that there are many deaths from malariain the areas of the world that DDT was once used to control misquitos. THerehas been some talk about reinstituting DDT in these areas since the death tool is so high and preventable.  Toxicity in humans is a complex  study.That is why is seems that science is slow Things like mode of transmission,dose, long term vs short term, alternatives, etc alll go into the mix.Helping parents reduce risk without panicing is a challenge.The CDC and FDAcan be a source of current data as it relates to  the things we consume

Ann,
With all due respect, anyone foolish enough to trust the FDA will ingest all the toxic chemicals their poor bodies will ever NOT need, and then some. We constantly talk about evidence , but we are absolutely backwards (and truly, I think, insane) in the way we approach the science when it comes to toxicity. How absurd is it to assume that a toxic substance is safe until we can prove it isn't? (sounds a lot like the marketing of AIM). Do you have any idea how many toxic substances are on the market today? How many are dumped into the environment every day? How many we ingest b/c other people use them? No science ever takes into account the load we all carry simply by living in this world, nor does it take into account the interactions of all of these substances or their metabolites on the organism. Or the fact that people eating the SAD on top of the toxic load they carry will be even more toxic. The biological advantage to obesity is in preventing toxins from circulating in the organism--they are dumped into fat cells. A really crappy diet and stress are not the only reasons people are getting fatter. 

I don't know, but I think mothers damn well ought to panic. Maybe if more folks acted like this is a very big deal, we would see things like "air fresheners" and "chem-lawn" and synthetic fertilizers and thousands more dangerous substances removed from the marketplace. As we have all seen ourselves, based on the FDA "white paper" on domperidone, these are not folks to trust. They are clearly tucked nicely in bed with industry. I heard an interview last week with the author of the book "In Defense of Food" and he said that the reason Europeans are more skeptical of GMO and cloned foods than Americans is b/c they are not foolish enough to trust their regulators. And do you know why cloned foods do not have to be marketed as such?----b/c there is no benefit to industry to do so, but there is huge risk. If they could claim some benefit, like "everyone will be fit and thin if they eat this cloned food"--then it would be marketed like crazy, but if they were labeled, then when all the food allergies sure to be associated with them begin to show up--there will be no way to trace it back to the cloned foods. You notice who the regulators are protecting, right? As I said, moms should be very, very panicky!!! Personally, I'd trust the Environmental Working Group far and away above any govt agency.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2