Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:16:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (87 lines)
Margaret,
Thank you so much for the insightful response!!!  Have you considered making it into an educational handout for moms??  You cover so many topics in a gentle yet informative way!
I appreciate you taking the time to reply😊 and I will share the information with this mother.
Take care,
Amy

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 8:46 AM, Margaret Sabo Wills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> We are trying to fit breastfeeding into many different lives and circumstances, and that takes some ingenuity, which this mother is showing.  Yes, travel is disruptive to what she has achieved, and she's taking that seriously.  But in the modern world, women are making breastfeeding work through lots of separation and disruption.  It's going to be great to get back together again.  Babies are unpredictable, and sometimes a baby will be fussy about getting back on the breast after a separation, and might need a little wooing,  so it's nice if she can think about having some time when she gets back to rest with the baby, nurse freely and maybe give the supply a boost again.  But most babies are just happy to see their mothers again.  It might also be helpful for her to have the caregivers use slow-paced bottle feeding, to encourage some breastfeeding behaviors of an open mouth and an active suck -- no free lunch.
> 
> Babies don't necessarily feed at regular intervals, so as long as she keeps the milk flowing and avoids engorgement, she will keep the factory running -- she can cluster some pumps closer together.  It's great if she can bring the milk back, and as long as she can keep the milk at refrigerator-range temperatures, any cooler will do.  Is there a hotel or company refrigerator where she can keep a freezer pack for the return trip?  Many mothers have to find their tricks for making pumping effective, with lots of massage and relaxation tips. and the massage can keep her on the lookout for plugs.
> 
> But travel is unpredictable, and keeping the milk moving out of the breast is important, so even if she can't save every drop, she's sacrificing it to the larger cause of maintaining supply and being comfortable.  Hand-expression is a great skill to have -- if she's stuck, that she can just go and remove an ounce or two to be comfortable until she gets a real pumping in.  There's also a little cylinder attachment from the Lactina that screws into the Pump-in-Style  kit to make a hand-pump, which is a handy thing to have in the bag for travel.
> http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/371/symphony-to-lactina-conversion-kit
> 
> Staying hydrated in the dry air of the plane.  And remember that it's a temporary bump in their long breastfeeding career.
> 
> Margaret Wills, IBCLC, Maryland
> 
> 
> 
>> Date:    Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:52:32 -0400
>> From:    Amy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Traveling and breastfeeding
>> 
>> Hello All!
>> 
>> PTP:  I was recently asked for suggestions regarding traveling and separation from infant.  Here are the details:
>> 
>> "I will be traveling cross country to give a presentation. Given that XXXX will still be so young and not yet have received  the X- month immunizations, I will be traveling alone - I basically plan to fly out, give the presentation, and fly back. I will be gone a total of about 29-30 hours. Given that we've just gotten on the right track as far as breastfeeding goes, I'm a bit apprehensive about the entire trip. I will be bringing my insurance-provided pump and will plan to pump at each layover, landing, and at the conference. I will likely only manage 5-6 pumping sessions in 30-hour time frame. 
>> 
>> I worry about 1) the effects of not breastfeeding for 24 hours, using the non-hospital grade pump, and these effects on my supply; and 2) the effects on my baby of not breastfeeding for over 24 hours. 
>> 
>> Do you have any tips or suggestions? 
>> 
>> Additionally, it appears that I can safely save my breastmilk for 24 hours with a cooler and ice packs - correct? Any suggestions about a particular cooler that works well?
>> 
>> This mother has done a lot of planning to help this separation go smoothly, but any specific tips, beyond the basics, would be much appreciated, especially regarding the milk storage/cooler suggestions.
>> 
>> Thank you all again for your wonderful advice.
>> 
>> Take care,
>> Amy Wagner, BS, RNC, CCES, IBCLC
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>            ***********************************************
>> 
>> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
>> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
>> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
>> COMMANDS:
>> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
>> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
>> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
>> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> End of LACTNET Digest - 1 Apr 2015 to 2 Apr 2015 (#2015-136)
>> ************************************************************
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2