Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:41:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Karen,

Thanks for your detailed response.  Yes, I am aware that advertisers can essentially write anything they want.  And little of what they write may have any truth to it.  I'm sorry if my post led you to believe that I believe all of their claims.  This is definitely not the case.  I was just questioning.  "This is what they say, what has your experience been..."

I have looked in detail at the claims made by medela regarding this product and in fact tried to discus it with the local rep.  I had a lot of questions for him.  I got no response.

But I have actually tried the teat myself to see how it works and it does not flow if there is no suction.  And it does flow more quickly with more suction and more slowly with less.  Though I am not sure a baby would be able to make that connection and adjust suction levels to the most comfortable flow rate.  (I had been given a free sample and wanted to try it out myself to see what it was all about.)  And I know it is possible that even with just a little suction, it could still flow too quickly for some.

Flow, and the need to generate suction are obviously only a part of all the variables involved than can make bottles problematic for breastfed babies.  There are so many more factors involved.

I did not suggest to mom that she begin using this teat or even begin using a bottle.  I had began by using finger feeding with tube pushed by syringe, then we were trying to transition to finger and tube with no push, just let baby draw it up on her own, then the same at the breast.  Mom now has a supply that will meet her babies needs 100%, no more formula is needed. (yay!).  So if we can get baby sucking well at the breast, we should be able to ditch the tubes.  But, baby does not suck well at all when at the breast, and will latch, but still needed it pushed through a tube with a syringe.  I had not heard from mom for a bit, and when I did, she told me that she began using the calma.  (again, this was not my suggestion.)  Curiously, baby is able to suck well enough on the calma to generate suction and get milk through it, but chokes at the flow.  Yes, I understand that maybe even if it is baby generating suction to make it flow, it could still flow too fast for her.  But I honesty do not have a lot of experience with babies using this teat, so I wanted to hear if others had experienced this.  (Trying to figure out if it is the teat/flow or the baby with the problem i.e. does she have a swallowing/coordination disorder.)

I will be seeing them again on Saturday, and yes, I had planned on trying a shield with her.  I have a feeling baby has gotten used to the feeling of something firm on her palate, and thus is not feeling enough stimulation with moms own nipple to suck.  This is why I want to try the shield, to see if it helps.

Mom is getting tired of pumping and then feeding away from the breast, which is understandable.  I need to get her at the breast and reduce pumping, otherwise, I think mom is going to give up soon.  This would be very sad.  Mom REALLY wanted to BF, was VERY motivated in the beginning, has worked really hard to keep things going, but it is taking it's toll on her.

Jennifer

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2