Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:41:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Gonneke writes that making up formula is more precise than weighing. 

Unfortunely or fortunately if you really think about this, there happens to be a fair amount of 
evidence providng this not to be the case.  One of the many dangers of formula use is imprecision 
in visual measurements of bottles.  They have done any number of studies on how even highly 
educated parents make up formula solutions of highly variable solute concentrations, thus 
endangering the baby.

Again, I have already posted on the high degree of variability of looking at the meniscus - the dip 
in the liquid due to water tension.  Even minute changes in your eye level can cause changes in 
your interpretation.

I wish NEVER again to see a woman who has been told to pump and bottle feed since this is more 
precise than test weighing.  If you have no other reason for using a scale, at least consider this 
when a health care professional who did not spend enough time in chemistry class to understand 
why eyeballing a line on a bottle is not precise enough to determine intake tells a mother to stop 
breastfeeding and pump and bottle feed again.  This should be as abhorrant to all of you as giving 
out formula packs in the hospital.  It is a completely unecessary intervention.  And in this case, I 
do consider it an intervention because it most certainly can directly harm a breastfeeding a baby 
just by its practice .... rather than just the good, bad or indifferent advice that results from use of 
other tools.

PLEASE, I urge all of you to not use pumping and bottle feeding as a means of estimating intake, 
nor to consider mixing of powdered formula as accurate.  

Best regards, Susan Burger

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2