Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:33:08 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
I can't remember this particular dilemma being discussed and apologize that I don't have a lot of time to search the archives.  I will be leaving town for a conference and hope to get some ansers before.  I visited a 27 y.o. who had her first baby a week ago, has two other adopted children.  The pregnancy was a "miracle" according to her.  At the age of 9 yrs. old, she had encephalitis and her sexual development was halted from the seriousness of her illness.  Her development did not progress according to her.  No periods, no ovulation (determined by numerous fertility workups) and her breasts didn't develop like her siblings.  Her breasts are of average size, and not atypical.
I was called at day 5, because her milk hadn't come in and the baby was frantic, hungry and little output-now refusing breast.  I immediately got her double-pumping until I could see her that afternoon and had them feed the baby(of course!).  Her third pumping, after we tried breastfeeding with only a few swallows, did begin to produce colostrum.  She had only a couple drops earlier and we got about a half-teaspoon.  I was pretty excited for her and theorized that if her breasts could produce colostrum, they should be able to produce milk.  The milk production cells must be there, if she's getting colostrum.  Two days later......had pumped every couple hours first day, now about every 3 hrs. and last two pumpings today, back to only drops.  I also had her start fenugreek that first evening.  She's willing to try a couple more days, to give fenugreek time to help and willing to continue to breastfeed for comfort and stimulation.  The baby's weight was down nine ounces from her birth weight of 6# 13 oz.  She is taking formula well per cup and I didn't introduce the idea of supplementing at breast yet, because I was optimistic that we wouldn't need it.  Am I wrong to think that there will be milk?  I would appreciate any answers (private e-mail would be great as I am behind in my reading) as soon as anyone has ideas. TIA- Faylene.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2