Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 10:43:05 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Hi Pardee,
Som women use domperidone long term like this and I have not seen adverse affects from it. I'm wondering though what this mum did when her supply dropped? Did she just stop taking it? If so perhaps she might consider slowly dropping her dose over a couple of months or so and see what happens. Abruptly stopping is likely to result in a big drop in supply like she saw (and some other unpleasant affects), perhaps she might find that she can reduce her dosage somewhat and see what happens. If she does stop altogether she should still be prepared to do it slowly. Her bub is quite likely to be happy to continue even if there is minimal (or even no) milk.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

On 06/12/2011, at 2:01 AM, Pardee Henderson wrote:

> How long is too long to use Domperidone for milk supply issues?  
> I am working with a mother who has been dependent on Domperidone for her milk supply for almost 2 years.  She is taking 3 domperidones, 4 times per day.  This mother has never made a full supply no matter how much she nurses and pumps.  Her baby loves to nurse and seems to appreciate whatever is there.  When she tried to manage without the domperidone a few months ago her supply dropped from being able to pump 3 oz at work to pumping only 1/2 oz.  She is ready to stop the work day pumping when baby turns 2 next month and is wondering about stopping the domperidone too.  She is just concerned about being on it so long.   She plans on baby led weaning.   I do not have experience with such a long duration of domperidone use and do not see that issue discussed in the literature.
> Thank you for your help!
> 
> Pardee Henderson, MPH, IBCLC, HTCP/I
> Charlotte, NC
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2