Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 21:37:17 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
A few of you may recall I posted about my nonpooping newborn a month or so ago.  Thank you to those of you who responded with insights and advice.  I am shamelessly/desperately calling on the Lactnet community again.  I have searched the archives and while I have found lots of info and weblinks etc.  I haven't found what I am looking for yet.

I have a 7week old who I feed pumped EBM by bottle in between direct breastfeeding attempts.  I have successfully breastfed my 2 older children, still bfing my 4 year old.

I gave birth at home at term.  Only complication: nuchal cord x2 tight, light meconium fluid.  I held him skin to skin constantly his first week of life.  I was shocked that at my son's 2 week check up we found that he was still 6 ounces below birthweight.  He had been stooling infrequently since birth, our only clue that his intake was inadequate, (but his wets were more than adequate, so we took pedi's advice and waited).  In fact, he had not been transferring milk well since his birth.  

I immediately saw an LC friend, test weights showed he transferred 15mls in a feeding, I got a Symphony rental and have been pumping q 3-4 hours since.  My supply is adequate at this time.  I fed him EBM at the breast with an Medela SNS initially, but he suckled so poorly that it took an hour to get 1 oz of supplement in.  He couldn't remove anything from the Lactaid.  Currently, most of his feedings are by bottle, all EBM.  We are using Playtex wide mouth Natural Flow Ventaire.

We are working with a speech pathologist.  Her observations: my son has generalized low tone, especially head/neck.  He has weak suck, poor muscle strength in his tongue, jaw, cheeks and lips, a weak soft palate and low/no gag reflex.  He cannot form a good seal and has poor bolus control.  He doesn't appear to have any syndrome or cerebral palsy.  We are currently doing oral motor strengthening exercises 3x daily.  

He comes to the breast when full for comfort.  I also breastfeed him when I have a good let down and he stays at the breast and swallows.  Of course, I use breast compression.  

In the last 2 weeks, due to my son's stridor and tachypnea post feeds, our pedi has suggested he probably has laryngomalacia, but of course we've done nothing invasive to clinically diagnose it.  We bottle feed him upright, hold him upright post feeds, he sleeps prone and beside me in bed.  He seems to breastfeed best upright, and also prone with his head hyperextended lying on my tummy as I recline. occasionally cross cradle, sidelying.  we try all postions, I offer breast frequently.  

I am going to return to using the Lactaid soon as he gains more oral motor strength.  

What I would like is a success story of a mom with any slightly similar situation to mine.  And what I mean of success story is exclusive direct breastfeeding before the baby was twelve.  I am exhausted and sad and weary and I would like some inspiration.  Also, of course, practical tips/advice/wisdom is welcome.  My heart is breaking with each passing day that I am not breastfeeding my son.

You can please email me privately.

Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC

---------------------------------
Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2