Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2012 18:33:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Cynthia, You wrote that you know of no research correllating Vitamin D level and breastmilk supplies. 
Neither do I know of any research correllating the two, but I have a suspicion, based on a past recommendation from Pat Gima. She she recommended calcium supplements to start about midway in the cycle which seems to remedy a dip in supply from what was believed to be a brief calcium balance challenge (these are all my interpretation of what I remember). She reported great success with this simple intervention. This is in no way proof of anything. The responses could have resulted from the placebo effect. Yet, it made sense to me that calcium balance would be related to supply in some way. I think it would be pretty tricky to set up a study to evaluate effect of calcium and/or vitamin D3 on supply, but I would love to see one! 
Thanks. Rowena
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Texas

Date:    Tue, 8 May 2012 06:25:39 +0000
Subject: Re: Breastfeeding and vitamin D

Adelina Garcia asked: " Does somebody know if there is any relationship between low milk production and deficiency of vitamin D ?" 

I have extensively reviewed the literature on vitamin D deficiency and breastfeeding and written several publications on the topic.  I know of no research showing that vitamin D deficiency  causes or is correlated with low milk production. In fact, the post-test for the American Academy of Pediatrics (A AP) Breastfeeding Residency Curriculum ( http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/curriculum/documents/pdf/Post_testAnswers.pdf ) explicitly states as part of the answer for question number 9 regarding causes of increased milk supply that  " Vitamin D intake has no effect on milk volume." 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2