Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:59:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
My distaste for Prolacta stems from a lack of transparency in their promotional literature. I think it has improved somewhat. But I don't believe that if someone goes to the website for the IBM Project, www.breastmilkproject.org that it is immediately evident that only 25% of donated milk is actually utilized for donation to Africa, and 75% is utilized for Prolacta to engineer into fortifier that they sell for a considerable profit.

Honestly I don't have a problem with the capitalist component of their endeavor although I realize this rubs many people the wrong way. I just want transparency. It should be CLEARLY evident to any prospective donor the ratio of milk that is provided to the not for profit cause as opposed to the percentage of milk utilized for their for profit purposes. I don't believe they have achieved an acceptable standard of transparency. They have improved the visibility of this component of their business, it was even less visible in their previous literature. 

I realize their are organizations that rate the efficacy of not for profits in terms of what percentage of their donations are used to cover administrative costs. I would be curious to see how this type of business model would be viewed. A minimum of 75% of the donation (milk) is utilized for a for profit endeavor. 

Maybe a 'milk marathon' or a 'milk drive' would sit better with me. Make 100% of the donated milk during a specific time frame eligible for non profit donation. That way the mothers who want to exclusively donate to a not for profit can have that facilitated without seeing 75% of their donated milk used toward a for profit business.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2