Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:33:15 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I think that when it comes to co-sleeping there are several factors at work in this discussion. First of all, this is a very cultural issue. Co-sleeping is very normal in many cultures. In the US, it is definitely not the cultural norm. Although many parents do it, socially it's really frowned upon, even more than in Europe. If I'm not mistaken, the original poster of this thread is from England, correct? I have been told that co-sleeping is a little more culturally accepted there, as well as through the rest of Europe right? (I wish I lived there)

Here in the U.S, among some healthcare providers, sleeping with your baby under any circumstance is tantamount to child abuse. They will tell you that you are going to kill your baby, roll over on it and cause it to die from SIDS if you ever sleep with your baby (that was a verbatum statement from an OB nurse to me). People have been reported to social services for sleeping with their children here. So for us, a poster like this would actually be a positive step forward in the discussion on co-sleeping. 

From what I've read, there are generally two types of people that bed-share with their babies. The first group are loving parents, who are often breastfeeding, very aware of their baby at night even while they are sleeping, they are in-tune with their baby, they are a low-risk bedsharing group. The second type of co-sleepers are people who would rather not bed-share but can't afford a crib, may be on drugs, and often provide an unsafe sleep environment. Unfortunately, these babies are often injured and killed due to unsafe sleeping and these are the babies that the HCP's see in this country. So it's one reason for their very negative view of bedsharing. They don't see the other 99% that co-sleep and enjoy it, and there are no problems because they are loving parents who provide a safe sleep environment for their babies. 

So for us, a poster like this would actually be a hugely positive step in the right direction in the US. Because it would help healthcare providers to understand that there are different types of co-sleepers, high and low risk. But my guess is we are at least a generation or two away from catching up with you in Europe. It just occurred to me during this thread that part of the reason we are viewing this issue differently may be because we are coming from different cultural viewpoints. It is wonderful, isn't it, that we get to get information and viewpoints from lactation professionals from many different cultures and countries?

Happy Holidays to All,

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2