Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 11:16:57 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Der Debbie,
I share your frustration - I work in the hospital setting where we not only have NICU but all Jaundice readmits are done to our hospital (annual city  birth rate 15000) so we get our share of bili babes.
What I have come to realize is women don't remember much of what goes on in the hospital - Reva Rubin's research says they are so busy taking in the fact the baby is here...they don't absorb much other info.....however once those moms come back to the hospitals with their babes....they are very ready for the info....I try to frame everything positively...and say it is good they came back because now we can correct the latch....and more often than not...it is a latch issue....some of them are moms I have worked with....they obviously did not retain the info I gave them....maybe some of the problem is delivery...the methods/ways I have shown them how to latch but some of it is being new to motherhood with no previous experiece even in babysitting so they are going home often without support from family and trying to cope.
It's hard....often I find myself getting mad at the staff (especially night staff who seem particularly guilty of supp with formula...mom said she was tired!!!!)but when I walk into a room in the morning where I have spent a lot of time the previous day and the patient doesn't remember any of the info she has been given.....it really makes me stop.
We just need to keep going solving one problem at a time....doing the very best we can!
Mary-Jane
in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2