Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 08:09:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Dear Gonneke,

There is no contraindication for breastfeeding after blood transfusion.  It is not uncommon for women to lose blood during the childbirth experience and receive a transfusion (I myself got 2 units after my last birth.) and I have not seen this used as a criteria for not breastfeeding.  The chance of picking up an infection, such as HIV or HCV, through a transfusion is extremely small these days due to the extensive testing of all blood units before they are released for transfusion.  Benefit vs risk.

The other reason he may use is that she is too weak and fragile to breastfeed......Also bogus.  However, it should be noted that anemia has been cited as a risk factor for some breastfeeding problems, such as recurrent mastitis and a 7 is very low - can leave a person feeling pretty lousy.  It would be helpful for the LC to know the etiology of this ongoing anemia as it could have repercussions for breastfeeding.  This mom may benefit from extra attention paid to a good diet, rest and help from family and friends when she gets home from the hospital.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2