Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:39:04 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I'm posting this for Jessica Mattingly, an LLL Leader who plans to sit the LC exam this summer and a member of the Lactnet community.  She called me from the road with questions about her biopsy site.  She had an incisional biopsy performed Friday at the 11 o'clock position (oh, no, can't remember if it's left or right breast...sorry) close to the outer margin of the breast.  The surgeon was certain that the mass was not deep, so he did a horizontal incision given the shape of the mass, then he *closed* with stitches.  She has had no drain tube.  Today (about 48 hours post surgery) she noticed that the area is red and hard, so she wonders if she is getting an infection or if this is normal for a shallow incisional biopsy.  The surgeon commented that there were many "lakes of breastmilk" when he did the biopsy...I'm not a surgeon, obviously, but do you think that the site should have been left open to drain and, if so, should she request that it be re-opened ASAP?  Should she request antibx in hopes of avoiding an abscess at the surgical site?  Is this just normal healing?  Should she call today and take potluck with docs on a Sunday afternoon or wait until tomorrow?

Jessica will be home and able to check e-mails later this evening, so feel free to post your responses to the list (for my enlightenment!) and to her privately at [log in to unmask]  She is grateful for your assistance.

BTW, for those of you who have sent her encouraging notes, the surgeon said that "things looked okay", but the path report won't be back until the middle of this week.

Sincerely,
Rebecca DeYoung Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC & MOM to 5 in KS  

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2