Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2015 12:30:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
We just had the amazing and wonderful Gini Baker here in my town, teaching her CLEC course as well as speaking at an all day conference.  

She says this:
"Day of life 0-3....Sucking DOES NOT = Hunger.  Everyone has a job to do.  Babies are not born hungry- otherwise they would "eat inside of mama."  Babies are born with a high suck need. She asks: "Why would nature have a high suck need with low volume?  Because baby needs to suckle, so he can clean out the meconium via paristalsis in infant gut/tummy.   We are generally not that hungry if we're full of poop!  At the same time, Mom needs to nurse in order to set prolactin receptor sites, in preparation for the normal increase in milk volume on days 3-4.

I really wish we could get some usable evidence that the babies who are being made to chug down 30-60 mls in the first few days are being grossly overfed, because this does not match the normal biological pattern.  

And further, I'm still asking why the formula companies are allowed to package ready-to-feed newborn formula in 60 ml amounts.  If the baby is fed more appropriately, doesn't this mean Baby Friendly Hospitals are being made to pay for lots of formula that must be discarded if it is not used soon enough?  Money going to the formula companies for necessarily wasted food?  Sweet deal for them!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2