Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:32:03 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hello again, 

I know this subject has been already treated on Lactnet, I have downloaded messages until 1996; I have read carefully, and I would like to ask anyway, because time has passed since the former discussions on lactnet (except if I missed some messages), maybe things have changed, I would like your advices too if it is possible;

Actually, I am taking care of a Mom, her 5th baby is 16 months old, quite exclusively breastfed (she eats quite nothing concerning solids), the mother has been wanting a 6th baby since a long time;  She had return of menses around 6 months post-partum and then her menses every 30 days or somewhat; small cervical phlegms around "ovulation"; she is "trying" hard, but nothing; each month, she has her menses. After trying to detect her ovulation, now she wants to try fertility drugs; it is a quite difficult situation for me because I know what it is, to absolutely have a baby... 

I have read (Core, Lawrence) but if one finds very easily informations about breastfeeding and lactational amenorrhea, one finds very few about getting pregnant while breastfeeding....; 

Reading the Lawrence (Breastfeeding, a guide for the medical profession 6th edition), I found clomiphene, it says clomiphene/Clomid goes in the opposite way of the lactational hormones; no more; there are many other fertility drugs but I found no other drugs, just clomiphene;

In some exchanges in Lactnet, it was said fertility drugs could dry the lactation; that is something that I can easily understand. So I told her about it;I told her also it is opposit to the hormones of lactation; I had told her about the hormones of pregnancy which could turn her milk into colostral phase again; that she should be carefull in the way that: Tenessy is her 5th baby, but she is the FIRST one that she breastfeeds WITHOUT anytrouble; I have thought althought that in her mind, she wanted to live this finally harmonious breastfeeding; anyway SHE WANTS ANOTHER BABE. 

So are there new fertility drugs with weak passage into the breastmilk? could there be any risk for the breastfed child? (the 5th baby in occurence)
What could be the chance to get pregnant with fertility drug
How is it possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding quite a lot, quite often, without the will to wean.... 

Have you lived similar situation as mine.....

Because in my message, there are not only technical questions;  it is also moral, I mean it is difficult to help a Mom to have another baby, when her body says a kind of "no"; for a good while, she understood, that it was maybe her body "saying": no I am not ready; she understood, that it was maybe her heart "saying": you had such a bad experiences at breastfeeding her brotherwood .... so that is why your body "says" no; now she hopes in fertility drugs, and by the way, I hope she stays well balanced, I am quite afraid that wanting so much, so long, may bring a kind of depression; note at the moment she seems well-balanced mentally; but her situation is touching me a lot; because at the same time, she WILL NEVER WEAN her child in order to have another baby; and at the same time, I feel in my mind that her situation can only bring very low fertility of her body; also... find a physician who could accept to prescribe fertility drug in this case; I mean it is not very ethical, even if it may not be the most important item of the day; 

Hope my message is quite clear to you, I have the feeling to write very strangely; 

Thanks in advance,
and Breast regards,

Françoise Coudray
Association ADJ+  (= breastfeeding twins and +)
http://www.allaitement-jumeaux.com/
http://www.allaitement-jumeaux.com/expo2001/

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2