Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:51:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hear, hear, Kathleen B, you said a mouthful!!!

It is good to hear someone who is much more visible than I in this field say that it is tough to pussyfoot around breastfeeding issues with professionals whose profession really requires them to be more current on this topic!  I agree I don't like to be told what to do, but I don't think I approach
it that way.  When discussing a breastfeeding situation or topic with a physician or other health professional, I try to be collegial and approachable, but find that, often, because one is a lactation anything, you wear a label that gives everyone permission to ignore you and your information.
Radical, zealot, fanatic.  There are many other titles, of course, and none of them complementary, but they all serve to highlight this idea that our information is emotionally-based, not research-based.  There certainly are some aspects of breastfeeding that aren't given to chapter and verse
because breastfeeding is a relationship, not just a feeding choice.  Despite the wear and tear of being written off with one of the above labels, I am gratified to see how very far we've come in this endeavor to give every mother and baby a good shot at a breastfeeding relationship if they so desire
(and we're convincing more and more!)  I am in high hopes that the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee can help us makes strides here in the U.S. and perhaps some of those reluctant, unenlightened health professionals will finally have to join us, albeit kicking and screaming!, in truly supporting
breastfeeding families.  (Of course, they'll claim it was their idea, and they knew it all along, but so what, if moms get to breastfeed their babies?!!)

Marsha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
John S. C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2