Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:14:58 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
My friend had a 3 sided cubicle. She moved a file cabinet to be sideways to make a doorway, about the same size as a doorway.  Then she brought a baby sheet, and hung it, it didn't go all the way down to the floor but it covered from like 1 1/2 feet up to the top of the cubicle.  The sheet was very babyish.  Then she very quietly told everyone what she was going to be doing and if the sheet was up, they would need to come back later or call her on the phone.  After about two months, she started to not put up the sheet.  She realized that if she sat hunched over a bit, her body type, breast size (she is/was very large, 6 feet tall, and well built with smallish breasts) would make it so that no one could see the flanges under her larger shirts.  the pump was quiet, no louder than her computer CPU.  She was able to work (she was an excellent employee, so the employers were really cool with all of this).  Soon people forgot.  They would come to her cubicle and ask for help, wanting her to come back to their desk, and she'd kinda nod at her pump, and say "ten more minutes, I'll be right there!"  She would take calls, help people, and only in that quick moment to put on the flanges and take them off again would she turn her back to the opening and need no one else there... well, I could be there, and other women too....  It really quickly became a nonissue in the building, and this was a large company with lots of people of different ages, cultures, etc.  It was really a sight to see!    She pumped for 18 months like this.   Her baby had a huge suck issue, even with intensive suck training, this baby never really latched on correctly and nursing was always painful, but she nursed for four years.   The baby is now 12. 

Btw, this was the baby that made me want to gain some professional knowledge so I could help women breastfeed.  My own oldest baby was just a few months old, when I went to her baby shower, her baby was a week old.  The baby was lethargic, and obviously not doing well--well obvious to my mind.  After the shower, with her mother, sister, and a few other women present, I expressed my concern.  I watched the baby eat, and felt that the baby wasn't getting milk, but I couldn't put my finger on what I was seeing.  I did say something, but I was told that THEY knew more than I.  All had nursed their children, including the mother, who had, at that time, a 13 year old who had nursed for three years.  Three days later, this mom called me to tell me that she had gone to the doctor and her child was starving, she had lost weight, was not peeing, etc.  This mom went to all ends to feed her baby human milk, finger training, sns, and more.  But if only I had been more confident, more sure, more educated about breastfeeding... So, I became educated and confident.  

It was amazing to watch this woman do everything to feed her baby, including push the limits of pumping at work.  The woman before her who pumped in that work environment pumped in the bathroom, so...

Joylyn
---- Judy Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> In a case where a woman's workplace is a cubicle, and she is unwilling to 
> request special treatment at work, such as use of someone's office for 
> pumping, are there ideas for pumping discreetly? (There is no pump room.) Is 
> this a good use for those breastfeeding cover ups? I will give her the beautiful 
> working and breastfeeding booklets in the kit for The Business Case for 
> Breastfeeding from HRSA. What a great use of US tax dollars!! Thank you all 
> very much, Judy
> 
>              ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2