Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:50:57 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi all,
I agree with Jean about jumping to conclusions regarding foremilk/hindmilk. This issue is so overused, when in fact, the differences in the fat content in human milk was recorded when babies were FTT. If I am not mistaken, when the recommendation of many MD's and HCP's some 20-30 years ago were to feed the baby
only 10 minutes on both sides many babies did not get to the hindmilk and were therefore not gaining weight or even losing weight. Since this discovery, the recommendation automatically and categorically changed over to feeding baby on one side only in order to get this high fat content milk. It is as if they only heard half the story - and didn't bother listening to the rest. which had they taken the time to understand the rationale, then they would have heard, "feed the baby on the first side for as long as baby shows interest or desire - and thereafter offer the second breast". Our mothers hear this quasi-scientific explanation of foremilk/hindmilk and naturally get into a panic that they will starve their baby if they don't get the hindmilk. More pressure in an already pressurised situation. Seems pretty universal - I get this question daily as well. Recommendations exist - but who can ensure that  HCP's will be giving out accurate, updated and non-conflicting information? Wish I knew.

Ellen Shein,
LLL, IBCLC
Tel Aviv

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2