Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:22:50 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Dear Friends:
   I have been enjoying the discussion about co-sleeping very very much. There is a lot published about the importance of touch, which naturally occurs during co-sleeping. My big girl (aged 24) still comes and sleeps with her little sister (aged 9 1/2 ) and me when she visits. These are always special times. When my babies were little, I would get annoyed sometimes with the intense attachment. Sharon Heller, in her fabulous book "The Vital Touch" makes the point that women in the USA lack the support of a village to care for their babies. So we feel overwhelmed and use devices like plastic trays and carriages as aides, because we don't have close family and friends to help with childcare. I can relate to that, especially with my last baby.
    Now that my babies are big, I have only good memories and wishes that I had been more generous with myself when my babies needed me.
  For calming babies and promoting closeness, I recommend infant massage, which has been shown in research to increase premature infant weight gain, and breastfeeding duration.  Warmly, Nikki Lee
(writing from la bella Italia, where I am now an official "madrina" or godmother)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2