Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:23:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Regarding the toxins report, I JUST got finished watching our local news with some footage of the cutest kids in the world (MINE) in a report on toxins in breastmilk.  :)  I was interviewed today by our local news for a reaction and statement about this report.  I'm wondering how many others in different areas might also be contacted for a "reaction."  I had about 55 minutes to prepare, including taking a shower for the first time today (at 4 pm), finding someone to keep an eye on my kids briefly, and round up the research, as I do not watch the news at all.

Thanks so much to Margaret Bickmore, my LLL Associate Area Professional Liaison, who quickly dug up the LLLI press release about it while I was making myself presentable!   The sound-bite they used was that the biomonitoring they do includes testing urine, hair, blood, and human milk and is a snapshot of what the humans living in any particular area are exposed to but is not a statement on breastfeeding.  They also used a brief statment by me, saying I would not have missed it for the world!   What they didn't use was me saying "I could talk all day about the "benefits" of breastfeeding, but what is important for the public to know is that breastfeeding is the standard by which we should measure all other alternatives and we can't dismiss the facts about the nutritional inadequacies and detrimental health consequences of using artificial baby milk, which can be contaminated both by nature of being a product of the same environment and through its production.  Breastfeeding remains the best choice, especially in a polluted world."   Darn, should've known THAT part wouldn't make it on.

Anyway, if it hasn't happened already, be prepared!  The reporter might knock on your door next.

Amy Brown, IBCLC in private practice in Colorado Springs, CO USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2