Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:01:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
In case this helps I will share a discovery. We provide a pump trial service with sterilized models in an outpatient BF clinic. We keep several pumps from a few companies. Several times over I have noted a mother having difficulty getting proper suction with this Isis pump and discovered an important detail.

It must be human nature but almost 90% cent of the time when trying the pump, mothers will hold the pump with one hand and as a reflex, place their other hand on the breastshield area to hold the pump close against their breast tissue. The trouble is they often gently let their finger lean or touch the soft edge of the insert. ** As soon as this is touched, the  suction goes weak. If I remind them to take care not to touch the edge of that lip going around the shield edge, viola! It works. the same goes for a slight edge of clothing touching the edge of this soft shield. I suggest that they can hold the shield but just on the hard plastic where the shield narrows.

I agree with the other tips: make sure little white circular disc is in place with the "star" facing up.
Try wetting the shield between the hard and soft surfaces (This is usually not needed)
Make sure you are pumping for 40-60  seconds before "giving  up" as I noted that some women find if they are heeding the above suggestion**, it starts to work within that time frame but might take all of 40 seconds to build up pressure.

Good Luck!
Anne Kirkham IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2