Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:31:00 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
ok, so i was at synagogue on saturday and there were three breastfeeding mothers there (in the creche) and all were struggling with getting their baby to latch... but were breastfeeding (although one mother was topping up as she said she could not keep her milk supply up b/c her daughter was v fussy at breast.... on further inspection... ALL three babies were tongue-tied.  The majority of babies I see whose mother's are complaining of sore nipples, low milk supply or 24 hour nursing are tongue tied.   I see so many TT babies these days that my main job seems to be faxing ped surgeons for speedy frenulotomies.  I spoke to a ped surgeon's secretary the other day who says that the surgeon started his clinic estimating that he'd get 4 TT babies a week, he's getting 20 babies a week running two clinics and there's still a waiting list.  

Now there's the legend that midwives used to just cut the TT with their fingernail at birth.  Now I'm wondering if you think if a ped surgeon or trained LC/midwife etc should be available at birth for any baby with TT... would it be worth implementing in BabyFriendly hospitals?  Are there risks in dividing a TT baby's tongue this early?  To catch a mom on DAY 4 or worse yet on DAY 12 when milk supply has been compromised, baby's been screaming and losing weight (and possibly been exposed to formula milk), and mother is a wreck.. is this a necessary exercise..??  I can't even believe that BF hospitals can send mother home without witnessing any milk transfer.  

So a senior midwife at my local hospital is intrigued.  Is it worth following up?  IS anyone out there already have TT-division protocol on day 1-3 at their hospital?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2