Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 22:58:40 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Posting on behalf of my SLT colleague:
Hi Loraine, 
Thanks for posting this on my behalf. Subject: Breastfeeding after cleft palate repair

Hi all, 
I frequently read the Lactnet posts and find it very valuable, but I think this is my first post. I am a speech and language therapist in New Zealand. 
Consent gained for this post. 
I have a patient who is almost 9months old. She had a cleft of the soft palate, and has Pierre Robin Sequence (cleft palate, micrognathia which is becoming less evident, and breathing issues which are also resolving). 
She has just had her cleft palate repair. She was unable to breast feed due to inability to create a closed pressure system, but Mum has continued to express, and the baby has been fed exclusively on breast milk (and solids since 6 months) via the Haberman feeder. 
Now that she has had her palate repaired, Mum is really keen to get her breast feeding. It's fantastic that Mum has managed to maintain supply, however baby has had little skin to skin experience in recent months, and has not had opportunities to suck on the breast for any comfort feeds. 
Can anyone provide any successful stories where Mums have breastfed after palate repair, when Mum has maintained supply? I have read previous posts around relactating in adoptive situations. 
So far we've suggested: expressing to initiate a let down (but keeping a full breast so if she does latch, there is milk there); Haberman feeding during skin to skin (and alternatively, could try other people feeding her with the Haberman and Mum only providing breast attempts... this may be an option after a bit more skin to skin experience though); Having a bath with her so she has opportunities to have skin to skin time when baby's relaxed. 

Any suggestions about this would be greatly appreciated! It would be so good to see this achieved as Mum has done so well expressing. Mum is so relaxed and practical that I think she can do it. 

Thanks, 

Alexandra Cave, SLT 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2