Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:45:27 -0230
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
When I started working with breastfeeding moms and babies over 20 years ago, feedings were timed. On the first day, moms were instructed to feed 3-5 minutes each breast, the second day 5-10 minutes, and if they didn't have sore nipples they could go 15 minutes each breast from there on. Needless to say, I saw a lot of engorged breasts and gained a lot of skill in breast massage and manual expression...a skill that I routinely taught to our moms (the only pumps available were the old bicycle horn style and I refused to use them!)

I was so pleased when common sense (as well as research) began to prevail!  Baby watching is fascinating and is a skill that parents (and grandparents) oftentimes need to be taught. Baby watching includes things other than breastfeeding, as parents need to learn about the many cues their babies are giving them. Breastfeeding is best done with baby watching and learning baby's "feeding personality" rather than watching the clock. Women over the ages have breastfed...hard to believe they did it before time was measured with the clock and in times and places when no clocks/watches were available. 

In my house there are 4 people...me and my husband, and my two children. My daughter takes just as long to finish a meal at the table now as a young adult as she did when she breastfed. My son is just as efficient in cleaning his plate and moving on to other things as he was at draining the breast, smiling and going to sleep or to play when he was a baby. Timing meals can result in feelings of stress and frustration, for babies as well as adults...Hey that's what happens to me at work! 

Today is my daughter's birthday...we are having a special birthday supper...
hmmm...should I set a time limit tonight!  
Beth
IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2