Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 11:51:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have a NICU mother, expressing for her preterm infant. Infant is 12 days old and mom has done a fabulous job of exressing and establishing milk production of about 800ml/24 hours. Late yesterday she called about the milk in 1 of her breasts has "started coming out of my breast with chunks in it".
She denies any signs of breast redness, tenderness, or pain and NO other maternal signs like fever, etc. She says breasts feel fine and milk volume is the same, but 'just has started having white chunks in it from the 1 breast.' Milk color is 'normal white'.  

Days ago, staff told her they had no more room for her milk right now and to keep all milk at home (except for 1 bottle of fresh milk daily) so she's not brought any of this 'chunky' milk to the hospital. She's packaging and labeling it separately from the other breast's milk and just freezing it. I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate picture of what she is describing and she plans to bring a sample in for me to see today (if the weather doesn't keep mom from visiting).  But in all my 34 years of working with mothers and babies, I've never had another mom describe what she is describing. 

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas of what it might be!! 
Rachel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2