Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:28:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I do plan to find out if they supplemented my son in the nursery. This hospital no longer 
has a full-time newborn nursery, but they do take the babies every morning while the 
pediatricians are making rounds from 7-9 a.m. Why the peds can't come and do their 
checks in the mother's rooms makes NO SENSE to me. Almost every breastfeeding mom 
I've talked to or counseled recently has told me their babies were supplemented with 
formula during that time. Currently I have advised my pregnant clients to place a 
separate note card in the bassinet making it very clear that their child is breastfed only 
and that if the baby shows signs of wanting to feed during the time it is in the nursery the 
mother requests to be called so she can go feed the baby in the nursery. 

i do worry about the lack of charting possibility. I find it highly unlikely that if they are 
knowingly violating their own policy that they are putting it in writing. 

I will be at that hospital next tuesday as I'm attending the c-section birth for one of my 
good friends. She's a single mom (4th baby) and I'll be following the baby to the nursery, 
so I'll get to see things from the inside a little. I'm hoping not to have many issues for her 
with breastfeeding, but I'm ready for some challenges. She had a reduction several years 
ago, but said she was able to make milk for baby #3 - however she was supplementing 
with ABM from the beginning last time (didn't know any better and 5 years ago there 
were NO LC's in my area). This time she is going to try to exclusively breastfeed! I'm 
sure I'll be posting for advice in the next few weeks...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2