Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:23:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
I've been teaching for almost 2 decades, and I can't TEACH a class, even a class I have taught previously, without learning something new. 

As the saying goes, "When the student is ready, the teacher shall arrive."

It is so foreign to me this mindset that further education will actually create 'less qualified' IBCLCs. 

We need to establish the skillset of the entry level IBCLC, and then establish the education that culminates in the development of the knowledge, theory, skills, abilities, values, and attitudes that exist within the IBCLC job functions.

Counseling should be a requirement, although an excellent source of teaching the art of counseling, LLL is not the only place that trains students to acquire the skills of counseling. Holding a degree or training in another discipline doesn't interfere with one's ability to develop counseling skills. I'm very confused by the repeated comments which imply that for some reason, when one becomes a RN, they are therefore incapable of learning effective communication and counseling approaches? I took 3 quarters of classes related to counseling, interpersonal skills and effective communication, and communication styles as a Human Services major. 

By facilitating my understanding of body systems, completion of A&P has definitely enriched my understanding of lactation. By studying homeostasis, I have an increased understanding of the consequences when mom and baby have physiologic conditions which disrupt this state and interfere with breastfeeding.

It's confusing to me to hear people express that further education within the disciplines which are highly related to the art of breastfeeding will interfere with excellence. The IBLCE isn't recommending the study of botany, or criminal justice which are relatively unrelated to lactation (although as my kids explain, I can turn pretty much any discussion into something related to breastfeeding), but I think you get my point.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2