Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:34:29 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Another issue I was thinking about while giving some trainings to student nurses and Peer Counselors:  
We tend to teach about "satiation cues" with the newborn (fall asleep, baby looks "drunk", arms fall down their sides, etc.).

HOWEVER we know that at three months, babies who are full do NOT behave that way...but does anyone teach mom this?  
So in order to get the baby to these "satiation cues" she continues to feed...  

Another issue is the distractions and feeding process.  When my three month old was breastfeeding, something (a sibling, the TV, air blowing a paper down on the floor) would distract him.  He - curious and interested in the world once the first hunger was satisfied - would let go (as I sprayed all over) and look - maybe come back to the breast, maybe not.. and as he got older I'd even find I'd have to "nurse in a closet" to get a "good feeding"...

BUT when a bottle fed baby (breast OR formula in the bottle) hears/sees something he turns his head...the 'feeder' then follows them with the bottle - baby continues sucking and swallowing and investigating - intake is MUCH greater and he does get to fullness (I describe it Iike a Thanksgiving dinner)...  

There are so many differences between a breastfed infant and a bottle fed infant!

Jeanette Panchula
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2