Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:44:06 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Malka, It has been suggested that moms with possible leaky gut and intolerance/allergic symptoms in baby may benefit by taking digestive enzymes with meals. I do not know of any studies to verify this recommendation or dispute it, but it makes sense and, I believe, will not harm mom or baby as long as the tablets have none of the offending food substances. I take enzymes and mine are gluten-free. I don't remember if they are dairy free. Mom just has to ask or read the label carefully. 
Jennifer Tow, are you out there?

Dairy is hard to avoid---you may want look on the internet in 
http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/ 
or other sites to find a list of all the names of bovine-containing food.

I do believe that baby's eczema is caused by or made worse by something in her diet.
I have two stories that may confound the issue or make it better, I'm not sure. One woman was allergic to eggs----UNTIL she raised her own chickens free-range and not on commercial food. 
Another story I read reported that a corn-allergic person could not eat regular beef but could eat grass-fed beef. Huh! I'm still thinking about that one.

For laundry, I think Charlie's Soap or something even more elemental than Dreft would help for ALL the clothes and linens and towels, not just what baby is wearing. For moisturizing the skin, something non-irritating for moisture, such as olive oil or coconut oil. Mom should use ZERO soap on baby's skin. The air in her home should be humidified, unless she is living in New Orleans.

Eczema COULD be related to low weight gain---the same intolerance could cause both eczema and intestinal lining irritation--->malabsorbtion. 

Are the stools nice and yellow with a faint suggestion of bread baking? or are they stinky, whatever color they are? Any streaks of blood in the diaper or red ring around the mouth or anus?

Are you sure baby has no cardiac or respiratory issues, and that mom is not scheduling or limiting feeds? Is she letting baby get to the high fat milk and not doing the proverbial "10 and 10", aka soup and soup? Did mom succumb to the common suggestion to start foods early, even though most foods are less nutritionally and calorically dense than breastmilk?

Does baby have any oral issues such as tongue or lip tie or hypotonia? I am assuming mom's breasts are normal anatomy and accessible to latch. Any history of breast injury or surgery or other breast issues? Any hormonal issues? Did mom get pregnant spontaneously?

Did mom sleep train the baby? or is she available at night?

Is mom on hormonal birth control or a calorie-limiting diet?

Is dad a string bean? I know a mom whose first baby was a loooong, tall Texan. Dr. insisted mom give formula, which made her feel like a failure. Then I met her husband, Mr. Beanpole with a Beak! Son#1 was growing using the recipe for dad, and son#2 was broad and solid, more like mom's family!
Good luck, Rowena
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Bryan, Texas

You wrote:

Date:    Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:15:44 -0500
Subject: eczema and low weight gain?

I hope you can help me!
PTP: Four month old baby boy has had eczema almost from the start. It has gotten worse and worse. Mom went off dairy and has changed laundry detergent 3 times. Using Dreft now and doing an extra rinse cycle. Mom went back on dairy because she didn't see that it  made a difference, but then baby became even more unhappy--excessive crying, up during the night. Now mom plans to go on a strict elimination diet--dairy, beef, fish, wheat, corn and nuts. To complicate matters, baby has gained only a few ounces in the past month. Could eczema be related to low weight gain? Pediatrician recommends strict elimination diet or to stop breastfeeding and feed EleCare formula. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!
Malka Weldler

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2