Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 17:12:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Thank you, Dr. Hertz and Dr. Leeper.  I have probably read every word of infantproctocolitis.org.  And sent the mom links to the general site and different sections of it.

And thank you, Pat Young, for the suggestion to send it to her doctor.

The problem here is not the doctors, pedi and GI.  They are suggesting reasonable things and are supportive of the mom and breastfeeding.

The nutritionist (RD) told the mom that the baby was allergic to human milk casein.  My immediate reaction was that this is not possible.  I had hoped the nutritionist would help the mom design a systematic elimination diet.  Her web site emphasizes her research-based advice. But her specialty is not infant nutrition.

But this mom is listening to Dr. Google way too intently.  She sends me links and I send her more reputable ones on the same topic.  She is already looking for zebras without first looking for horses.  So I'm checking for any shred of evidence that it would be remotely possible that a baby would be allergic/sensitive to anything inherent in his mother's milk, and hoping to not find it.  He was born in a big American hospital and has had regular pediatrician care, so I'm sure he was screened for PKU.  

This mom originally saw me for sore nipples when the baby was 18 days old.  We tweaked the latch, and she had several sessions with a craniosacral therapist.  The pain resolved, so she decided against seeing our local TT knowledgable dentist for evaluation.

Susan Nelson IBCLC
Austin Texas USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2