Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 04:48:20 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Pat said: this poor mom was an exclusive pumper, but that was Ok with the dr too :-(

...and herein lies a big issue, in my estimation, about doctors (and others) not respecting the pain and suffering of the mother in the case of tongue tie or lip tie.  A doctor in our area who pretty much "rules" the pediatric hospital practices has repeatedly denied that babies need clipping - saying "they will grow  out of it" or "mothers really didn't want it" when they quit due to the frustration and pain, or "there's entirely too much oral surgery being performed in newborns".  

It's OK to do circumcisions, when nature meant for that part to BE there, and not to do ankyloglossia when it was clearly an error when  lips and tongues are not flexible and mobile.  That part of the anatomy should have developed differently during embryonic stages (at times also connected with other anatomical issues).  

I even shared a note expressing her feelings/experience by a mom of 5 who suffered with pain while nursing many of her children.  It was only with her fifth did she get the problem identified and was forced to go to out-of-county physicians (it took 2 interventions) until she finally achieve comfortable latch.  She wrote a short message expressing the pain and frustration and barriers to bonding that occurred when thinking of the next feeding meant to anticipate pain.  Still, no change in "policy" from when I arrived here in 1998!

Yes, I've met moms who continued to nurse through the pain, but at times this means a less-than-optimal growth in the infant (if no supplementation is done), and a very difficult emotional time for the mother, who suffers ambivalent feeding at every breastfeeding.

...yes, that's "OK" with this doctor, too!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2