Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 10:21:00 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I saw the show and thought that O'Reilly just didn't completely understand the issue.  It seemed that the congresswoman was there to discuss a bill that is being written that would guarantee women the right to express milk in the workplace in their "off" time (breaks, lunch, etc.).  O'Reilly was concerned about women bringing babies to work to breastfeed them because that would be disruptive to the workplace.  The congresswoman tried to explain that wasn't what they were trying to allow.  O'Reilly asked why women couldn't just express milk in a bathroom stall, and if they did, why would anyone take offense with that?

Regarding breastfeeding in public, he said that if women were given the right to do it, that there would be some women who would take it too far and want to walk around topless so they could feed their babies, and even though he was in favor of breasts in general, he didn't like that idea.

I don't know where O'Reilly lives, but I'm pretty sure the show is taped in New York, where breastfeeding in public is considered a civil rights issue.  It would have been nice if that had been made clear and if it had been stated that many states have legislation on the books about it already.  But even though it was touted as an interview about breastfeeding in public, it seemed that the congresswoman was really there to discuss only the legislation being written about the workplace, not the overall climate for breastfeeding in the US.

He always reads viewer e-mails at the end of the show (last 5-10 minutes), so I will make a point to watch that to see what kind of response he gets.  Usually the website eventually has transcripts of interviews, so maybe this one will appear there in the next few days.  http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/index.html

Jennifer Zerangue
Seattle, WA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2