Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2013 00:40:12 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
A couple of quick comments re plastic and posture..
1. vinyl: ugh, milk may run anywhere and vinyl is unpleasant against anyone's skin, not to mention leaching chemicals into fatty tissues and possibly hosting microbial growth while remaining damp.
If using plastics, wipe dry throughly  with paper towels and discard them; damp cloths to wipe with may add bacterial load if they're from the kitchen or have been used before.
A blanket or cloth nappy or towel or flannel pillow case that can be washed may be quite enough to absorb any milk. Ongoing moisture is what allows bugs to grow. More likely on plastic surfaces.
2. the 700+strains of bugs in breastmilk are probably friendlier/ less virulent that the ones that will replace them on waterproof pads wiped with god knows what.
3. when new mums slouch in any chair for any length of time, they need lower back support or they will almost certainly develop back problems. I recommend getting a recliner that can be pushed back a little so they don't lose back support.
These turn up in secondhand and opportunity shops quite often. Those with foot rests that elevate and lock into place are ideal as mum can use her legs to move around, push herself into better position. 
(I have one that has circulated through 5 breastfeeding mums to date). Changing positions during feeding can also help drain breast tissue: the underside of heavy breasts that sit flat while a mum is leaning back can drain poorly. 
There is no magic about any one way to sit, move, support the breast or not, while feeding. 
My definition of  laid-back breastfeeding is simply getting comfortable in a good chair with back support, and then just getting on with it without worrying too much about precise positions; moving instinctively as tired muscles suggest, noticing lumpiness and helping that area drain as needed. Awareness of the effects of gravity is part of all that, and can mean very different positions (like kneeling on all fours with breast hanging down to relieve blockage on the underside of heavy breasts! Not a usual feeding position, of course. But it works, and babies can latch on even if mum is standing on her head, as one classic video showed.....)
In haste,
Maureen Minchin

Date:    Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:48:07 -0400
From:    "Catherine Watson Genna BS, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Cloth breastfeeding pillows

Or you could just teach moms to slouch a little in their chairs and 
support the baby on their bodies!

Catherine Watson Genna BS, IBCLC  NYC  cwgenna.com

On 7/11/2013 11:02 AM, Laurie Beck wrote:
> My Brest Friend Pillows make vinyl breastfeeding pillows which can be wiped between uses. Great for hospitals, home visits, support groups, and clinics.
> Laurie Beck, RN, MSN, IBCLC
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa O'Neill
> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:31 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Cloth breastfeeding pillows
> 
> I forgot to sign my message .
> I am a first time poster looking to the expertise and experience of the group. I have have been asked to consider the potential infection risk of using the cloth breastfeeding pillows provided in our community breastfeeding support groups.  We have traditionally advised mothers who use these cloth pillows to cover them with waterproof pads that we provide or with their own receiving blankets; is this approach reasonable? This is being viewed by some from an infection control aspect considering breast milk as a body fluid.  I have searched the literature and the Lactnet archives and have not found anything on this topic.  There seems to be an appetite to move to vinyl pillows.  I would appreciate any feedback.
> 
> Lisa BN RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2