Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:16:02 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Wise ones,

Like Rachel, I'm still recovering from my brain and laughing muscles doing overtime. ;o)
On Tuesday evening, just before the official opening of the congress, I was on the escalator that went up, parallel to a flight of stairs.
I watched those who were brave enough to take the stairs, saw a face and said: "Rachel?"
She looked at me and said: "Marianne?!" That was really funny! :o)
We had several moments, but also three very inspiring hours next to eachother in Sir Richard Bowlby's workshop on Friday.
My... what wonderful material he came up with! Isn't it great, listening to 'the son of', of the one who did groundbreaking work in the field of attachment?
The first day, I got emotional behind the mike, when asking Nikk Conneman a question about dealing with preemies. Ashley Montagu and Nils Bergman sort of consider *all* babies premature, as we are labeled 'exterogestators'. That would call for very special care for *all* babies, not just those born before 37 or 40 weeks. It would most certainly not call for letting babies cry it out and promote policies causing detachment.
That is what my present question is about: I'm swamped with stuff to read and things to figure out, in order to be well prepared for the meeting in which we can comment on the guideline that is about to be implemented. One item in this discussion is: "Well, if you don't agree with letting baby cry and swaddling him, what do *you* suggest as a solution for parents who can't deal with their crying baby anylonger?"
I'm in favour of prevention, of course, like always, also when it comes to lactation problems. So, what I would like to know: who can get me on track of literature that shows that a (really) different parenting style will lead to a society that doesn't even know the concept of cry-babies? They must be out there. I'm desperately trying to come up with something convincing, a great name, an impressive document.
I already got in touch with sweet Nikk Conneman and he put the documents I sent him on the agenda for a meeting in his professional environment that was held yesterday. Looking forward to his reaction... Hope he can support us with something thrilling. At least, he has already expressed his willingness to do so, just like someone I was directed to by Richard Bowlby. Gosh, I hope we can do something...

So, anyone who can provide me with interesting stuff... let me know! Your effort will be greatly appreciated on behalf of all future babies and parents who will not suffer from this guideline if we are able to prevent it.

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2