Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:01:29 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Hi all,This is my second post this week - some unusual situations this week.I am working with a mum whose baby has Down's Syndrome - not sure this is the issue though.  Baby was born 3 weeks early in a heat wave.  Ended up back in hospital for 9 days and naso gastric tube fed.  Mum is very anti bottles, and she breastfed her first very happily for 20 months.  9 days in hospital is very long for here in Northern Ireland - I think it was just for feeding difficulty.  Ok I know it is not just a feeding difficulty.  There are no lactation consultants in that hospitals paediatric dept.  Problem now is that baby is being naso gastric tube fed.  When I visited mum yesterday baby fed well with active sucking for 35 minutes - best feed at breast in days.  However he has struggled to latch since - he latches at most for a few sucks.  So I remembered tonight that his muscles may be very tired as he is not used to using them.  Therefore the question is how do we help a mum to transition a baby from naso gastric feeding to breast feeding?  Baby was 1 month old yesterday.  Mum is expressing, but feeling discouraged as she finds expressing demanding and is seeing no real progress in breastfeeding.  Any ideas please!Thank you all in advance,Sarah McCann.LLL LeaderIBCLC in PP 		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2