Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 23:23:51 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (6 lines)
  Thanks to all of you who have so far responded.  I know that my clinical data on the baby and mom was rather cryptic, but several of you identified the probable situation just from the little that I did say.  This mom has taught herself how to breastfeed from 2 books a friend in the states sent her (and not likely to be the ones most recommended by this group).  She was terrified and said that she was prepared to drive 3 hours into Germany to go to a hospital there since she knew a little more German.  Mostly what I did for her was determine for myself that the baby was probably doing very well and calm the mother.  I agree that stools can be a rainbow of colors with little significance.   Since this mom has been limiting time at the breast and seems to have a very strong let down  hindmilk/foremilk imbalance is a possibility.  Also  she has been drinking at least a half gallon of milk per day since late pregnancy.  Both of these involve minor fine tuning that she can easily manage on her own.
  At the end of our conversation she asked "How will I know if my baby is in trouble and I need to take her back to the hospital?"  I gave her several specific ways to determine her child's health, then she said "Then she may have been okay all along?"
 I am anxious to hear how things are going in 2 more days and will give you all an update.
thanks again.  tracy throckmorton rn ibclc
portland, oregon [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2