Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:11:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Dear all:

Just to share with you a positive experience I had over the weekend.  A pediatrician in 
the area called from another state to get help for her sister who was having some 
challenges latching the baby.  Apparently, her sister had a bad experience in the hospital 
and needed some reassurance.  

The pediatrician got on the phone with me and my ears were burning with the comments 
she made about the comments her clients said about me.

At the same time, even the Trendy Tribeca pediatrician to the stars who denigrated our 
whole profession - dedicating a chapter in his book --- the only one on other pracitioners 
--- explaining why he thought we were expensive hand holders and mothers were better 
off getting advice from their sisters and mothers  --- has SOME redeeming aspects.  I 
always mention how terrific it is that his practice does home visits and that he is a good 
pediatrician if you want someone relaxed and laissez faire over everything but sleep.  I 
also know quite well that he hates pumping --- and I reinterpret this in a postive way that 
he really is concerned about YOUR welfare, so here is how we can remove the difficult 
parts of pumping so it is not so challenging for you. 

You can always find something good to say and side step your way into the breastfeeding 
advice that may differ from another health care practitioner.

When I was in training, my mentors would sometimes hand off patients to each other.  
Since I sat through each of the consultations, it was very easy to pick up on how mothers 
simply did not remember or reinterpreted fairly clear instructions and would say "Oh, no 
she told me to do x" when what was really said was "do y".

Best, Susan

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2