Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2014 08:25:35 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Fighting at the breastPTP: I have been working with a mom who experienced a non-medicated spontaneous vaginal birth, infant was stuck for a while (unspecified) but no other complications. They had trouble with feeding while in the hospital and was pumping and bottle feeding when I saw them at day 5. She was discharged with a feeding plan which included pumping prior to feeding (for flat nipples), feed with a nipple shield, and provide a bottle if feeding is unsuccessful. During my visit we were able to latch the baby without the shield. Mom needed a lot of coaching on positioning, hand placement, and latch technique but just seemed to need practice to ease the awkwardness. The baby is one of those quick tempered, o to 60 types and mom has struggled to find the best time to feed him so that he will come to the breast in a calm manner. He immediately starts to fight when put to the breast, any time of day and in any position. During my follow up visit, I helped mom get him positioned and latched more quickly and in a modified (half sitting) football hold. Any thoughts or suggestions for things to investigate. Oral assessment was normal and he looks symmetrical, wondering if CST would help??Appreciate any help or suggestions from all of your great minds.
(I think that I sent this incorrectly the first time and apologize if this is a repetitive)
Wendy Jordan, BS, IBCLCPrivate Practice Lactation Consultant
http://www.seacoastlactation.com/ 		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2