Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2009 09:08:05 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
As a mother who's had to pump for her baby in the NICU, I agree that pictures of babies nursing would have been very difficult for me to look at and just a reminder of the fact that I was in there pumping b/c I couldn't nurse my baby (yet).  I think pictures of older children would be more appropriate.  Also as was suggested, some bulletin for the local LLL groups in the area and that kind of thing so that mothers know where they can get help either during the time they're pumping or after discharge when they're home.  Even something non-baby related like some posters of cute baby animals or something - sometimes it's nice to have something that takes your mind off babies for a while when you're in a stressful situation with your newborn.  I cannot for the life of me remember what was in the pumping room I used.  Mind you it was 8 1/2 years ago and once I got plugged into the pump, I buried my head in a book for 15 min b/c that seemed to help me relax & produce well.

Depending on the budget - even more important that the posters on the wall, I would suggest COMFORTABLE chairs and little tables for mom to put her stuff on and not rockers.  Someone put a couple of rockers in the pumping room and if you've ever tried to double pump, you know that you need a chair that doesn't move.  I remember having to sit upright in the chair b/c it was too deep/low for me to sit in properly and still be close to the side table to lay down my bottles when I was done pumping.  And having had a serious tear and being in pain, the chair wasn't nearly soft enough either.  It was a vinyl chair, if I recall.  A fairly upright chair that is well upholstered would be ideal, I think.  

Just my two cents as a mom who's been in the pumping room.  

Margo

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2