Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:49:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Would like to ask any of you who teach bf classes....

I have been teaching for about 12 years now.  As of late, I have changed my approach a bit to certain subjects to see what would happen.  For instance, spending a little more time on the benefits of breastfeeding and being a bit more specific about the hazards of formula (rather than the advantages of bf - you know the drill.)  Also have tried to emphasize the importance of using as few drugs in childbirth as possible - always talked about it, but again, not very specifically.  I have been a LLL Leader for 20 years as well and think that I have put across this information and encouraged discussions without being too strident - I can usually tell myself when I am reaching that point.  And there are still the usualy disclaimers about everyone's situation being different and how decisions must be made based on what is best for each individual mom, baby and family.  My main objective was to get them to think a little more outside the box.

The response has been mixed.  While a few parents have thanked me for information they had not gotten anywhere else, there are now at least one or more negative evaluations after each class, something I have never gotten before.  Admittedly, it is a bit of an ego blow to read some of these comments.  But what really worries me is whether they are taking in the rest of what I am saying if they are already angry or uncomfortable about some of what they are hearing.  I know there will always be a few who don't get it at all, but this has been a rather strong response, at least in my eyes.  They don't want to hear the true realities about formula or that childbirth choices can have an impact on their babies or that nursing an older child was once quite common, even in this country (that one I have always been pretty specific about when asked about weaning times.)  The class includes slides, videos, hands-on with dolls and balloons and as much humor as I can inject.

Have any other of you changed your formats and what has been the response?  Will be talking about this with my boss soon (she just returned from the ILCA conference).  Since these classes are sponsored by a hospital and not free-lanced by myself, I have to be cautious of possible repercussions on that end.   I would like to revamp the class, partly just because after 12 years, I would like to try something new.  From previous posts, it seems that some of you, at least, concentrate a lot on just examining the issues involved with making the decision to breastfeed, through game-playing and discussion.  But what I have found is that my couples seem to really want a lot of nitty-gritty info on how to breastfeed, engorgement, sore nipples, etc., and get more uncomfortable/restless when some of these underlying issues are brought more into focus (and then less time is available for the other stuff.)

Any thoughts?  Has been an interesting little experiment.  Maybe my teaching/nurturing skills are not really as good as I thought they were.  What have been your experiences?  TIA.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2