Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:26:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The whole definition by insurance companies just adds to the problem of failure of insurance companies to cover the needs of lactating women, by either NOT covering services given by non-physician providers (because they will ONLY cover physician codes and there are no true non-physician  codes desigated for IBCLC's) or mis-defining breast pumps.  I see DME's being paid for "good" breast pumps for the contracted clients, but what is delivered is a "walmart" pump, whatever is cheapest but still double.  In defense of DME's, however, so many of the hospital-grade pumps don't get returned that I can understand why they want to go to one that is cheaper and doesn't need to be returned.  I have seen way too many friends who are nurses go from a barely adequate supply to an excellent supply just by changing from an old single-phase pump to a Symphony.  And it's not just speed and suction that is different in a symphony.  Just try them on yourself and you will feel the difference.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nikki Lee

Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:14 AM

Subject: what does "hospital grade" mean?

Dear Lactnet Friends:

After doing a google search for "definition hospital grade breast pump" and remembering what I have been told, I've made a list of all the statements and criteria that I found:

1) One that has a 3-pronged plug

2) One that has a sealed motor/filtration system

3) One that can be rented; the motor is durable enough to be used by many people, for many times a day.

4) One that is two-phase.

5) The FDA website does say that you can reuse a pump if it’s “hospital-grade.” But it turns out that the FDA doesn’t define “hospital grade.”

6) "Heavy duty, hospital grade breast pumps do not meet the definition of Durable Medical Equipment (DME), as they are not to be used in the home. Heavy duty, hospital grade breast pumps are, therefore, ineligible for coverage." "Heavy-duty hospital grade, piston operated, pulsatile vacuum suction/release cycles, vacuum regulator (AC and/or DC, e.g., Hygeia EnDeare and Ameda Elite)." from this website: < https://www.excellusbcbs.com/wps/wcm/connect/25dfe3804e8eb71692b1bfe420b83c88/breast_pump.pdf?MOD=PERES

>

7) "CIGNA does not cover hospital-grade electric breast pumps for use in the home because they are considered institutional equipment. DME that is considered institutional grade and not appropriate for use in the home is not covered under most CIGNA HealthCare benefit plans."

<

http://www.cigna.com/customer_care/healthcare_professional/coverage_positions/medical/mm_0046_coveragep

ositioncriteria_breastpumps.pdf>

8) Unlike almost all consumer-grade electric pumps, which are unsafe to share because of the risk of cross-contamination, hospital-grade pumps are designed to be used by more than one mom, so long as each user buys her own collection kit. Hospital-grade pumps can be rented through hospitals, lactation consultants, maternity stores and medical suppliers. Because hospital-grade pumps are often heavier and bulkier than consumer-grade pumps, and usually don't come with discreet carrying cases, they're less convenient for moms who wish to pump outside the home. < http://www.consumersearch.com/breast-pumps/hospital-grade-breast-pumps>

9) "Hospital grade breastpumps are without a doubt the strongest and most durable breastpumps available to breastfeeding moms. These pumps effectively stimulate your breasts to adequately raise your levels of the hormones prolactin and oxytocin to increase your breast milk production and output.

While personal use breast pumps are intended for use by only one mother, hospital grade pumps are designed and approved by the FDA to be safe for multiple users. Hospital grade breastpumps can be used by more than one mom because they are designed with barriers that prevents cross contamination.........Hospital grade pumps have stronger, more powerful motors that provide a higher level of suction and more efficient pumping.

These pumps are larger and heavier, which in turn makes them less easy to transport than their personal pump counterparts. They are also more durable and are covered by a 3 to 5 year manufacturer’s warranty rather than a 1 year warranty. < http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/hospital_grade_breast_pumps_a/154.htm>

I confess to making up my own version of the definition. I want to stop doing that.

What does "hospital-grade" mean? Who has the authority to make the one right definition?

warmly, and confused.

--

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC craniosacral therapy practitioner www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2