Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:41:23 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
Hi all,

Many thanks for all the posts on this subject.  Thank you for helping me think this subject through.

The real reason I asked about oxytocin in the first place was 'why when mums appear to have oversupply causing symptoms of colic does eliminating cows' milk from their diet seem to help?'

Therefore does cows milk have an impact on oversupply?

OK so oxytocin was probably not the best way to start as it is of course the milk ejection hormone.  I had forgotten that (possibly due to some things I have read recently linking skin-to-skin with increase in oxytocin and increase in milk supply).  I need to read more carefully and not forget the basics.

So what do I suspect causes oversupply and what is the impact of cow's milk on oversupply?

Poor breastfeeding management is an obvious reason - overstimulating the breasts from overpumping or swapping sides before baby ready.  Maybe main reason?

Could there be a genetic predisposition to oversupply?  Could a genetic predisposition to oversupply have a positive impact on survival of infants?  

What impact does cows milk have?  Well the verdict seems to be out on this.  We can't say conclusively that it has an impact but there is enough evidence to suggest it may, although what substances/hormones are involved we can't say for sure.

However last night in bed while trying to get to sleep I realised the answer may have been staring me in the face.  If cows milk is such a significant allergan that a significant percentage of the population have an allergy/intolerance to it then of course a significant percentage of babies presenting with any problem involving digestion/colic will show an improvement in sympoms by eliminating cows milk as they could be allergic to cows milk as well as having the other problem eg. oversupply.

Must go now as have an LLL meeting soon,

Love,

Sarah McCann.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2