Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:48:34 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Gerri in Jerusalem asked whether resuming breastfeeding at 2 1/2 years will psychologically damage the child. I think this is most unlikely.  Some toddlers resume breastfeeding after apparently being weaned, and I have not yet encountered any problmes from doing so.
   Kiddies this age often act in a baby-ish way after the birth of a sibling, when they see baby helplessness rewarded with attention - even if the toddler is not breastfeeding at all.  The danger in focusing on a perceived possibility of damage from resuming BF, is that this behaviour that is common in toddlers who are *not* breastfeeding, might then be misinterpreted as an "effect" of the breastfeeding.
   There are lots of benefits of breastfeeding - immune factors, nourishment, and giving a boost to the supply for the new baby.  A breastfeeding toddler is also a nice "fix" for any engorgement (as a client of mine has said to anyone likely to criticise).
    Some breastfeeding toddlers might want to do a bit of pushing and shoving while breastfeeding at the same time as the baby (pushing and shoving that they might also do if not BF and just sharing a lap or a sofa). It is easy to make sure the toddler's legs can't contact the baby, by breastfeeding the older child with legs facing to the side of the mother.  It is also good if the mother and toddler can have quality time doing other things together, perhaps including a bedtime ritual that is just for "big brother" (or sister).  Obviusly time with Dad and the extended family can be great for a toddler with a new sibling.  I'm sure the psychologists on this list will have better ways of expressing their comments.
   It is sad that breastfeeding, or its resumption, is seen as a potential pathology.
       Virginia

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2