Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:31:20 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
We found the same problem. No sterile nipple shields from any source we could find. 
 Considering that mom &/or baby are hospitalized, and that we offer pump kits that are sterile, we got a 1100 watt microwave, placed it on a small chest with drawers. There we keep Micro Steam bags, a feeding bottle with the 2oz line marked, and a supply of non-sterile, individually packed nipple shields. So if one is needed, we take 1min30sec to steam sterilize it. We mark the bag with the patient's name and  for one use (20 are possible). Then I teach mom how and why to use it and she gets the bag to resterilize it if needed, and to sterilize her pump parts, too. And I give her the packaging materials that came with that nipple shield. These are stored in baby's crib / isolette drawer. The plan is when babe goes home, if the bag can still be used, it goes home, too.
If she were buying it from a store and baby were healthy at home, she would just wash it in hot soapy water, but being under hospital care is different. The microwave is dedicated ONLY for sterilizing such equipment: NO LUNCHES! I have seen and heard of bacteria / mold issues with improperly cleaned pump parts and I'm hoping to avoid that from happening in my hospital's NICU. First, teach the NICU RNs, then teach the moms. After that, let the moms do it themselves with appropriate followup to avoid "slacking" technique.

Phyllis

---- "judy h. upstate NY" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 

=============
Hi all,
How do you wise people feel about using sterile vs non sterile nipple shields?  Our vendor no longer offers sterile nipple shields and sterilizing them ourselves or washing them prior to using in the hospital setting really is not convenient.  The nipples we use for our bottle feeders (from the formula company, ugh!) are not marked sterile.  Is there any reason why nipple shields should be sterile?
What are other hospital LC's using?
Thanks so much for your help.
Judy Hatfield RNC, IBCLC
Upstate NY

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2