Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:28:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Patricia,
Several years ago I took care of a Mom who just had her second baby.  She delivered her first child in a different
state.  That child a history of severe allergies and had been ill quite frequently, and suprise...was formula fed.
Sometime between the first and second child, the parents did some research and discovered the advantages of
breastfeeding and chose to breastfeed the second child.  They were very angry that no one had told them about the
benefits of breastmilk when they had the first child.  The believe, justifiably, that their health care providers let them
down.
As far as Kathy's response about contacting a lawyer.  I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this, but I work
with a Pediatrician who strongly believes this is a possibility.  If he has a patient who choses to breastfeed after he
has counseled them on the benefits of breastfeeding, he documents his teaching in the progress note to cover
himself in case they ever come back and try to sue on the basis that their child got x disease or had a lower IQ
because he was not breastfed and they didn't know this was a possibility.  If no other reason forces HCP to
tell moms the benefits of breastfeeding, maybe the threat of lawsuit will.  Too bad it may take this, when breastfeeding
has so many wonderful advantages that it should stand on it's own.
Beckie Trevino, RN, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2