Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:46:08 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
This situation has me perplexed!  Mom and her 5 week old baby have been working diligently since birth
to get the baby to take her breast.  Baby has had no bottles, only finger feeding on a mini supplementer.
Baby is addicted to finger feeding, but parents don't want to try cup feeding (I have tried consistently to 
get them to try cup feeding). They don't want her to be unhappy for more than about 10 seconds.  Baby 
will mouth nipple when they're in the tub, so they just want to wait until she's ready!  I have respected 
their decision.  Here's the perplexing part - mom was visiting a friend who also just had a baby and the 
friend offered to nurse my client's baby and THE BABY NURSED BEAUTIFULLY!  My client then tried to
nurse her own baby with milk dripping out of her nipple,and the baby screamed at her breast. My client is not discouraged and knows that her baby will nurse from her eventually.  The only difference I can see in my 
moms breasts is that her breast tissue is very firm.  Her nipples are not flat or inverted.  We've talked ad nausea 
about creams, bath preps., deoderant, vitamins, anything in her diet, etc. that might make the baby reject 
her mother's smell or taste.  She accepts her moms milk just fine in the feeder. So, anybody got any insight
to share?  I've scanned the archives and I didn't find anything except that there are just some peculiar babies
who refuse to nurse (for whatever reason they're not sharing with us).  Anything you can share is greatly
appreciated. 

TIA, Nancy Ferland, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2