Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:30:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Let me add to the mix here.  The May 2002 issue of Contemporary Pediatrics (which my pediatrician was kind enough to share with me) has as its lead article, "Breastfeeding Challenges: Helping Mother and Baby."  It's quite a lengthy article, filled with reasonably useful information and helpful suggestions about HMF and preemies, transitioning to exclusive breastfeeding, pumping, the SNS, etc.. But wouldn't you know it, it's preceded in the Journal by 3 formula ads.

The first, by the bioengineering company M-----k, declares, "DHA and ARA -- Now in the USA" in E-----l's L----l formula and has a picture of several bottles, with the one in the center having a red white and blue striped nipples with stars on it.  [It seems it would be "un-American" not to give your baby the L----l fomula!]

The second is a thicker-paged ad (it really stands out) for the E-----l L----l formula with DHA: "A new formula to help nourish his potential like never before..."

The third is for S----lac 2: "For older babies and toddlers, a nutritionally balanced diet doesn't always come easy [Me: Yeah, especially if they're not breastfed!]" and urges, "Recommend a cup a day."

Perhaps I'm being naive, but how is this any different from the debate that was raging a couple years ago about the conflict of interest inherent in an FDA member's financial links to a drug company?  

Julie, LLLL in NJ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2